Ok, this is just a bit of fun; if you are pro-school, please don’t be offended. We homeschoolers get a lot of grief (especially in England) for what we do, and are constantly having to defend our choices to family and the public, so we’ve got a have a sense of humour and let off some steam sometimes.
In an effort to increase the public drumbeat for criminalizing homeschooling, a memo has been distributed containing the top 10 reasons why public schooling is better than homeschooling. Here is an excerpt from that memo:
1. Most parents were educated in the under funded public school system,
and so are not smart enough to homeschool their own children.
2. Children who receive one-on-one homeschooling will learn more than
others, giving them an unfair advantage in the marketplace. This is
3. How can children learn to defend themselves unless they have to fight
off bullies on a daily basis?
4. Ridicule from other children is important to the socialization process.
5. Children in public schools can get more practice “Just Saying No” to
drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.
6. Fluorescent lighting may have significant health benefits.
7. Publicly asking permission to go to the bathroom teaches young people
their place in society.
8. The fashion industry depends upon the peer pressure that only public
schools can generate.
9. Public schools foster cultural literacy, passing on important
traditions like the singing of “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin
laid an egg…”
10. Homeschooled children may not learn important office career skills,
like how to sit still for six hours straight