I’ve got the lurgy…again

17 Sep

So that makes twice in less than a month that I’ve fallen ill. I haven’t been ill (properly) for over a year, but it’s hit me twice recently.

On Monday I had a little tingle of a sore throat. Right, I thought. I’m not going to let it get me this time. I downed 2 echinacea tablets and blasted my nostrils with a few squirts of Vick’s First Defence. After about 3 minutes I was in agony. Some of the spray had trickled down my throat and it was burning with the flames of a thousand hells. Think open wound and antiseptic. I rinsed, I drank water, I moaned, I hopped around my bathroom; repeat (for 20 minutes). (This doesn’t normally happen with this spray; sometimes it stings a little, but not like this)

This was no ordinary sore throat.

The next morning my throat was so sore and swollen I could hardly speak. So, I decided to ring the doctor.

Now, I hate to moan about the NHS. There are HUGE problems in it (former student nurse speaking), but it’s wonderful to know we don’t have to decide between eating for the week and seeing the doctor. However, our surgery (doctor’s office) is open from 7:30am until 7:00pm M-F and for 2 hours on Saturday, and has, like, 5 doctors and 2 nurse practitioners. And you still CANNOT get an emergency appointment on the day. Not only that, you can’t get one the next day. What I got instead was a telephone consultation. To check for strep throat. Yeah.

The entire ‘consultation’ took 1 minute and 15 seconds. I was asked 2 questions: ‘What can I do for you?’ and ‘Are you allergic to penicillin?’ I wasn’t asked if I was taking any other medications or herbal remedies. I wasn’t offered an appointment at a later date.

So, I’m taking fungus pills (which cost over Ā£7 [about $15]) and ibuprofen for the aches and pains.

Luckily, I wasn’t fasting anyway, because I’m ‘exempt’ for the next 7-10 days, but I was planning to use this time to get a bunch of work done. For one thing, I was going to sew my dress for Eid. I was also going to give my house a good down-on-my-hands-and-knees mop, which hasn’t been done in…well, I don’t want to say how long. Normally I do it once a month, and use my little swiffer-type wet mop once a week, but I’ve just been too busy since I got back from America to do a real mopping.

Hopefully my drugs will kick in and I’ll be well enough to function soon.

And I haven’t been able to properly enjoy the box of Thornton’s chocolates my hubby brought me. He came home with the box a few days ago as a little present for keeping all of my fasts thus far šŸ™‚ I was so touched I nearly cried; it was so sweet. Regradless, the box is nearly empty (thanks in part to said hubby and Stiggy, greedy guts šŸ™‚ )

Sigh…oh well. I’ll still try to make the best of Ramadan with dhikr (see here next), reading my English translation of Qur’an, behaving myself, and teaching Stiggy.

Leave a comment

Posted by on September 17, 2008 in Family Life


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: